New Grounds for the All-Breed Show (Hamilton Kennel Club), new grounds for earthdog (a farm just down the road from the show grounds) and lots of people having lots of fun. Result: Successful dog show and successful earthdog tests.
Friday saw the Border Terrier Club of Ontario hosting their earthdog test. With the aid of a backhoe (such a cute one that Chris Dyer was thinking of taking it home), the earths were chosen (no no that configuration won't do) so off we were lugging tunnels from one area to another until just as we were running out of time to have the earths ready for competition, Eureka!! This will work. With the help of the Goodman/Rogers family (Kirsten, Laurie, Julia and two of her strapping young friends) guided by Pam Dyer and dug by Chris Dyer and Jacques Durocher, we had the earths in just as people were arriving to sign in. Others (Ken & Gail Nixon, Jocelyne Jacques Durocher, Jane Lee, Linda Hough, Anna Robaczewski) were working around driving stakes for fencing, setting up the refreshment tables, running last minute errands and generally making sure everything was ready.
As Carly Martin, one of our judges, arrived and Pam Dyer, our IQ judge, tried to get ready for the tests, our stewards (Jocelyne Durocher, Ken & Gail Nixon) started to gather around the secretary table to get their running boards and judges' score sheets. Right at the allotted hour, the tests began.
I would personally like to thank Kirsten Goodman for all her hard work behind the scenes not only doing secretarial duties which are quite profound but also for going to bat for us with the Ancaster Fairgrounds to let us have the earthdog site. I, unfortunately because our dog Dee went missing (she was subsequently found safe and sound), was not there the last few days before the tests to finish the catalogue and help Kirsten with last minute details.
Our final tally of entered dogs was 47, dogs that ran were 41 and dogs that passed were 11 as follows:
Introduction to Quarry - Judge Pam Dyer
Total number of dogs entered - 15, Total number of starters - 14, Qualifiers - 4
Ch. Fireland's Up in Smoke "Angus" (Border Terrier) Owner: Jane Lee
Ch. Thistlebitt Gleiffer Braes "Bree"(Border Terrier) Owner: Karen Nesbitt
Baytree Native Son "Cody" (Border Terrier) Owner: Jane Cairns
Faireview's Roar Of The Crowd "Rory" (Border Terrier) Owner: Brenda J. Coffield , Judith P. Keane & Margaret Henning
Junior Earthdog - Judge Carly Martin
Total number of dogs entered - 18, Total number of starters - 16, Qualifiers - 5
Ch. L'Dickens Bandersnatch Devilry "Devlin" (Border Terrier) Owner: Margaret & Amanda Pough
Ch. Falconbrook Lust For Life "Maggie" (Border Terrier) Owner: Anna Robaczewski
Am.Ch. Towzie Tyke Tartan " Tartan" (Border Terrier) Owner: Wayne R. and Joyce Kirn
Not So Rusty " Rusty" (Border Terrier) Owner: Pam Dyer
Baytree Native Son "Cody" (Border Terrier) Owner: Jane Cairns
Senior Earthdog - Judge Carly Martin
Total number of dogs entered - 14, Total number of starters - 11, Qualifiers - 2
Ch. Bella Vista's Briagha Xterra, TDX, AgN, RN,SE "Briagha" (WHWT) Owner: Jane McLaughlin
Dawn's Spellbound N' The Dark, TD, JE, RN, "Wicca" (WHWT) Owner: Jane McLaughlin
Everyone had about an hour to get back to their hotel, clean-up and get to the Mathesons' in time for our Annual General Meeting and a wonderful BBQ hosted by Al & Joanne Matheson. We all ended up coming at staggered times which made it easier to meet people as they arrived and exchange a few words. The meeting was uneventful and the social began. Jane Lee called on all the earthdog judges for the weekend to say a few words. Carly Martin and Pam Dyer had the advantage of already finishing their judging so were able to give words of congratulations to the dogs that passed and words of encouragement to the dogs that gave it their best. Marg Pough and Anna Robaczewski would be judging on the Sunday but were able to encourage all to join in the fun on Sunday. A special draw was announced on behalf of Border Terrier Canada and the Border Terrier Club of Ontario for a beautiful wooden plate handpainted and donated by Danielle Trottier-Renaud. The drawing for which will be held at the Border Terrier Club of Ontario's specialty in August at Long Sault, Ontario. Everyone had a terrific time and we couldn't have asked for a better meal with such great hosts in one of the prettiest gardens.
Saturday, the day of the National Specialty, dawned with very heavy clouds and promises of rain. We all put up some pop-ups and hoped for the best. Jen Holder was there first thing to set up our beautiful trophy table. Our terrific Border Terrier needlepoint awards were handcrafted in Scotland by Catherine Lambert of Talex Border Terriers. Catherine had a bad fall in the midst of making the trophies and in spite of a fractured skull was able to finish them just in time for the specialty. A special thanks goes out to Catherine who is now just recovering. Canadian Border Terrier Rescue and Debbie Miyashita set up their wares under the veranda, which also served as the holding area. Sweepstakes and Veteran Sweepstakes were ably judged by Karen Fitzpatrick of Meadowlake Border Terriers in Illinois. Karen's dedication to the breed is evidenced by her very successful breeding program and her involvement in Border Terrier rescue in the US. Karen's remarks are set out below.
SWEEPSTAKES - Judge Karen Fitzpatrick
JUNIOR PUPPY DOG SWEEPS
1. Foxrun Bangers N Mash, Jen Holder
SENIOR PUPPY DOG SWEEPS
1. McHenry's Rocket J. Squirrel, Mark & Mary Beth Ensor, CT Giese
12-18 MONTH DOG SWEEPS
1. McHenry's Rage Against the Machine, Mary & Mary Beth Ensor, CT Giese
2. Ch. Brightwater's Ragtime Reveller, by Coombe Hill Bramble e Ch. Roschel's Scarlet Ribbons, Breeder/Owner: Jane Lee
3. Faireview's Roar of the Crowd, Brenda J. Coffield, Judith Keane, Margaret Henning
JUNIOR PUPPY BITCH SWEEPS
1. Brightrain Towzie Tyke Gloria, Wayne R. & Joyce Kirn.
SENIOR PUPPY BITCH SWEEPS
1. Duets About Last Night, Beverly Kolb
12-18 MONTH PUPPY BITCH SWEEPS
1. Baytree Aero Bubbles, Jane Cairns
2. Brightrain's Quinntessential, Kirsten Goodman DVM
3. Faireview's Stirrup Trouble, Brenda J. Coffield, Judith Keane, Margaret Henning
4. Brightrain's Divine Brown, Susan Kane & Kirsten Goodman.
BEST IN SWEEPSTAKES - Duets About Last Night
BEST OF OPPOSITE SEX IN SWEEPSTAKES - Foxrun Bangers N Mash
VETERAN SWEEPSTAKES - - Judge Karen Fitzpatrick
10 YEARS AND OVER MALE
1. Ch. Conundrum Causin Chaos, Michael Shoreman
7 - 9 BITCHES
1. Ch. Talex Good Thyme Gal, Jen Holder
2. Ch. Sherwood's Red White Liberty, Karen Nesbitt
BEST IN VETERAN SWEEPSTAKES - Ch. Talex Good Thyme Gal
BEST OF OPPOSITE SEX IN VETERAN SWEEPSTAKES - Ch. Conundrum Causin Chaos
At this point the skies decided to open up just as Kathy Wilkinson made her way to the ring. Kathy has produced some of the finest Border Terriers in the UK under her Otterkin prefix and we all looked forward to her going over our dogs. Thankfully the rain did not last and we all enjoyed the rest of the day. Kathy's remarks are set out below.
SPECIALTY - Judge Kathy Wilkinson
JUNIOR PUPPY MALES
1. Foxrun Bangers N. Mash, Breeder: Jen Holder, by Ch. Glen Mara Violon-D'Ingres-De- Terriland (FRA) ex Ch. Foxrun Clove R, JE, Owner: Jen Holder
SENIOR PUPPY MALES
1. McHenry's Rocket J. Squirrel, Breeder/Owners, by Wildwoods Heileborus SE ex Towzie Tyke Wuthering Heights JE, Owner: Mary & Mary Beth Ensor, CT Giese
12-18 MONTH MALES
1. Primrose Hideaway's Dansin'n The Dark, Breeder: L. Looper, D. Ray by Lochcu's Stewars Texan in Blue ex Hideaways Bean Blossom, Owner: Chris & James Reid
2. McHenry's Rage Against the Machine, Breeder/Owners, by McHenry's Ewok of Endor ex McHenry's Sugar Bear, Owner: Mark & Mary Beth Ensor, CT Giese
BRED BY EXHIBITOR MALES
1. Towzie Tyke Tartan, Breeder/Owners, by Towzie Tyke Master of Malt ex Towzie Tyke Anamchara, Owner: Wayne R. & Joyce Kirn
2. Jansim I'm Your Man, Breeder: Anna Robaczewski & Pam Dyer, by Ch. Rovin Jansim Summer Wine SE ex Ch. Lothlorien Jansim Hazeltor SE, Owner: Anne Geall, A. Robaczewski, Pam Dyer
3. McHenry's Ewok of Endor, Breeder/Owners by Towzie Tyke Laird O'Glenmore JE ex Towzie Tyke Wuthering Heights JE, Owner: Mark & Mary Beth Ensor, CT Giese
1. Terriland Moonlight Singer, Breeder: Danielle T. Renaud by Ch. Glen Mara Violon-D'Ingres-De-Terriland (FRA) ex Ch. Terriland Earth Spirit, Owner: Pat Dimitrovski
2. Conundrum Karatai Dudley JE, Breeder, Mr. D.G. & Mrs. J.A. Parker by Otterkin Blue Bayou Conundrum ex Conundrum Soliquay, Owner: Carole Smith
3. Faireview's Roar of the Crowd, Breeder: Margaret Henning, Arnold Kenning, Kathleen Henning by Maustrappe's Sunday Driver ex Skyline The Life of Riley, Owner: Brenda J. Coffield, Judith Keane, Margaret Henning.
4. Eclipse Hubble O'Wagginaire, Breeder: D. Eckles, C. Kane by Eclipse Country Singer ex Eclipse Starlight Express, Owner: D. & S. Boeving, C. Kane.
WINNERS DOG: Towzie Tyke Tartan RESERVE WINNERS DOG: Terriland Moonlight Singer
1. Ch. Jansim Holly Roger JE CGN, Breeder: Chris & Pam Dyer by Dandyhow Topnotch ex Ch. Jansim Pennyroyal CD CG, Owner: Anna Robaczewski
2. Ch. Falconbrook Heart of Gold CD, Breeder: J. Anna Fraser by Ch. Jansim Holly Roger ex Ch. Duet Spy in the Sky, Owner: Donna J. Ralph & Gloria E. Mosley.
3. Ch. Jansim Toad in the Hole CD SE, Breeder: Chris & Pam Dyer by Dandyhow Topnotch ex Ch. Jansim Penny Royal CD, Owner: Chris & Pam Dyer
4. Ch. Conundrum Causin Chaos, Breeder: Mr. D.G. & Mrs. J.A. Parker by Conundrum Dalglish ex Conundrum Bromond Georgie Girl, Owner: Michael Shoreman
JUNIOR PUPPY BITCH
1. Brightrain Towzie Tyke Gloria, Breeder: Kirsten Goodman by Ch. Glebeheath Johnny The One ex Ch. Brightrain's First Edition JE, Owner: Wayne R. & Joyce Kirn
12-18 MONTH BITCH
1. Brightrain's Quinntessential, Breeder/Owner by Kandu's Marathon Man ex Ch. Brightrain's First Edition JE, Owner: Kirsten Goodman DVM
2. Glen Mara Equinoxe De Terriland, Breeder: Brigitte Belen-Bernaudin by Sub Terram Hot Dog ex Viva La Vida Glan Mara, Owner: Danielle Trottier-Renaud
3. Baytree Aero Bubbles, Breeder/Owner by Ch. Ganymede's Pendragon ex Ch. Baytree Picadilly Circus, Owner: Jane Cairns
4. Foxrun Spirit Moon, Breeder: Jen Holder by Foxrun Thyme Piece ex Foxrun Clove R, Owner: Susan Armstrong
CANADIAN BRED BITCH
1. Brightrain's Divine Brown, Breeder: Kirsten Goodman by Kandu's Marathon Man ex Ch. Brightrain's First Edition JE, Owner: Susan Kane & Kirsten Goodman
2. Rosecrest Border Gracie, Breeder/Owner by Ch. Standish's Kenny Rogers ex Rosecrest Border Sprocket, Owner: Linda Purdon
BRED BY EXHIBITOR BITCH
1. Duets About Last Night, Breeder: Beverly Kolb & Patricia Lechten by C. Firelands Up in Smoke ex Ch. Duets On Borrowed Time, Owner: Beverly Kolb
2. McHenry's Good Charlotte, Breeder/Owners by Towzie Tyke Mettenry Oatmeal Stout ex Happy Hobbits Sweet Polyester Purebred, Owner: Mark & Mary Beth Ensor, CT Giese
3. Sherwood's Starcatcher, Breeder/Owners by Ch. Sherwood's Ferguson ex Foxrun Sherwood Rona, Owner: Florence Prawel
1. Roschel's Mariah, Breeder: Michael & Rosemary Shoreman by Ch. Meadowlake Devil's Brew ex Ch. Roschel's Gypsy Moth, Owner: Susan M. Newell DVM
2. Foxrun Sherwood Rona, Breeder: Jen Holder by Ch. Foxrun Frozen in Thyme ex Ch. Foxrun Dash of Spice, Owner: Florence Prawel
3. Faireview's Stirrup Trouble, Breeder: Margaret Henning, Arnold Henning, Kathleen Henning by Maustrappe's Sunday Driver ex Skyline The Life of Riley, Owner: Brenda J. Coffield, Judith Keane, Margaret Henning
4. Roschel's Melody, Breeder/Owners by Ch. Meadowlake Devil's Brew ex Ch. Roschel's Gypsy Moth, Owner: Michael & Rosemary Shoreman
WINNERS BITCH: Roschel's Mariah RESERVE WINNERS BITCH: Duets About Last Night
1. Ch. Talex Good Thyme Gal JE, Breeder: Catherine Lambert & A. J. Urie by Holmston Freelancer ex Talex Spring Thyme, Owner: Jen Holder
2. Ch. Sherwood's Red White Liberty, Breeder: Florence Prawel by Ch. Conundrum Leveller ex Sherwood's Spellbound, Owner: Karen Nesbitt
3. Ch. Lutrabeck Songwriter, Breeder: Mr. R. J. & Mrs. C. J. Hand by Otterkin Lyricist ex Lutrabeck Song, Owner: Al & Joanne Matheson
BEST OF BREED: Roschel's Mariah
BEST OF OPPOSITE SEX: Towzie Tyke Tartan
BEST OF WINNERS: Roschel's Mariah
BEST PUPPY: Duets About Last Night
AWARD OF MERIT: Ch. Brightrain's First Edition JE
BEST VETERAN: Ch. Jansim Holly Roger JE CGN,
1. Ch. Brightrain's First Edition JE, Breeder: Owner by Ch. Conundrum Leveller ex Ch. Bernfield's
Bright Rain Ruby, Owner: Kirsten Goodman DVM
BEST OTTER HEAD: Ch. Brightrain's First Edition JE
Once the breed was awarded, we had to take a break from our specialty so that the all breed show could have the breed judged by Sandra Anderson, a Scottie Breeder from Ontario. Sandra awarded Best of Breed and Group First to Jane Parker's now Ch. Picer Wotta Conundrum and Best of Opposite to Al & Joanne Matheson's Ch. Ganymede's Pendragon. The Best Puppy in the Specialty also showed the all breed competitors what Border Terriers are all about, Bev Kolb's Duet's About Last Night went Best Puppy in Breed, Best Puppy in Group and Best Puppy in Show.
With all the All Breed show awards presented, we then were able to finish up our specialty with the judging of Best Otter Head which went to the Award of Merit winner, Can. & Am. Ch. Brightrain's First Edition JE.
The day ended on another high note with our potluck dinner held in an intimate dining room in the main hall of the fairgrounds. With windows overlooking the parking lot where we all could keep an eye on our dogs, everyone settled in for quite the feast. Potluck dinners are far more interesting than any chef at any great hotel could come up with. The meat dishes were supplemented with some of the most interesting salads and side dishes. No country's cuisine was forgotten. Under the direction of Anna Fraser & Anna Robaczewski, everyone pitched in to set up the serving tables while Susan Rome did her magic of setting up the silent auction tables. Such terrific items that drew some good bidding.
Karen Fitzpatrick was called upon for her comments on the Sweeps entries. Karen thoroughly enjoyed her assignment and was very impressed with her entry. She thanked all her exhibitors and wished everyone well in the future.
COMMENTS OF KAREN FITZPATRICK (MEADOWLAKE), SWEEPSTAKES JUDGE
I was very honored to be asked to judge the Sweeps at the Canadian National Border Terrier Specialty. It was delight to be able to judge such a super group of Border Terriers!
Overall I think the Borders exhibited to me were quite lovely. I was very happy with the front movement I saw on quite a few, but still we seem to have a need for Borders with good reach. Coming and going I think has quite improved over the years, but a Border must be able to cover ground effortlessly to maintain a tireless track in the field.
From my males, I chose a lovely young dog who was very racy and looked to me to have a very promising future. He was presented in proper condition and was a lovely mover. I was thrilled to give him Best of Opposite in Sweeps.
I had a strong entry of lovely bitches, especially in my 12-18 month class. My winner in the 12-18 month class was a very sound, lovely moving bitch with a nice head, great pelt and was shown impeccably. She could not a put a foot wrong. When it came down to my best bitch, I had a really hard time making a decision between my 9-12 month female and my 12-18 month female. Both were stellar on the coming and going, great on the side, both were very well groomed and had great heads. And I think trained to perfection. My decision came down to balance of rib to loin and underline. I just preferred the balance of the 9-12 bitch. She was a bit smoother to go over in my opinion. I was very happy to award her Best In Sweeps. Both bitches had great points but at the same time both of them were different . It's hard to judge them without looking at them from a breeder's standpoint. There were things about both of them I think would be an asset in anyone's breeding program in the future!!
Thank you again to all of you who showed your Border Terriers that weekend. I would like to especially thank Joanne and Al Matheson for allowing me to bring my own dogs and take over their newly renovated, gorgeous basement!! As always, I had a terrific time!!
Meadowlake Border Terriers
Kathy Wilkinson then gave her comments on her Specialty entries. Kathy was grateful for the wonderful entry she received and was pleased with the quality of the dogs. We certainly enjoyed showing to her and appreciated her thoroughness in going over our dogs.